Tuesday 5 October 2010

Sweet & Spicy Apple Sauce


I'm  in the mood for some procrastination today so you get a new recipe sooner than originally planned :)
It's a nice and sunny autumn day in St Andrews but I've been cold all day so I've decided it's time for a comfort food recipe.
I made this with my mum when she was visiting with the apples that grow in our garden. It's one of those amazingly old trees that give you the nicest apples on this planet. Fine, they aren't that pretty and most of them are slightly bruised, but they do taste amazing. I don't even have a clue what the variety is called, but they're nice and tart (but still quite sweet) without being mealy. I might even venture as far as saying they're some of my favourite apples.
Anyhow, this post also marks a slight change for this blog. I have decided that I need to eat more protein. So since yesterday I've been cooking meat (I know, you're just as surprised as me, and you don't want to be in my kitchen when I cook it, I never would have guessed I knew so many swear-words that could describe my attitude towards raw meat) and listening to what David Kirsch tells me to eat. Let's see how this goes...so far I'm convinced I've eaten more protein in the last two days than I did in the entire week before (or something like that).
So anyhow, probably the last slightly indulgent recipe for a while. Join me while I dream of apple sauce :)

Sweet & Spicy Apple Sauce
1kg Apples (don't go for the crazy sweet ones though)
400ml Water
Juice of 1 Orange
2 tbs Cinnamon
Some Nutmeg
2 tbsp Sugar

Peel and core the apples, then cut them into small chunks and stick them into a heavy bottomed saucepan.
Heat until the juice mix starts boiling, then turn the temperature down to a medium heat and keep stirring from time to time.
Now you get to lean back and read a magazine :) while you check up on the apples every once and again. You'll want them to start falling apart (without burning at the bottom, hence the stirring).
Now you have two options - you can either join me in the eternal bliss of laziness and just remove the pot from the heat and spoon the mixture into some jam jars (which you have stuck into boiling hot water for about 10 minutes and then fished out without burning your hands) and embrace the potential lumps you might find or, you put it through a food moulis (did I spell that right?) before spooning it into the jars. Whatever you do unless your jars are still lovely and hot, put a metal spoon into the jar because apparently they stop the glass from bursting.
Screw the jars closed while the apple sauce is still hot and turn them upside down while they cool (I'm not the expert here but I think that's what helps seal the jars?).
Enjoy with some semolina pudding or some rice pudding and tell me how amazing it was, I'll be dreaming about it for the next couple of weeks :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...