Sunday 17 October 2010

Butternut Butter for the Soul

This one is for you, Tiffany - this is a long-distance hug from me :)


This recipe for a butternut-butter is based on Jenna's recipe from earlier this week.
With fall in full swing I felt like this would be the perfect thing to warm my heart when I had another one of those 'can't really feel my hands because they're too cold' afternoons. So off I went to make my own :)
Let me tell you, after stirring some into my porridge after swimming this morning, I can only pat myself on the back for the idea.

Butternut Butter
1 Butternut squash ( approx. 1.5 kg; peel and chop it into pieces & roast them until they're tender)
1/2 cup Brown sugar
1 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Cumin
1 tsp Vanilla essence
1/2 cup Orange juice
Some nutmeg
A pinch of salt

Put all the ingredients into a blender or a heavy bottomed saucepan (if, like me, you only have one of those handheld blender things) and puree away. Depending on how quickly you find all the leftover lumps this can take some time. I started wondering why I never ended up buying a proper blender halfway through.
Then scoop everything into a saucepan/enjoy the fact that for once the handheld blender thing gives you an advantage :) and heat at a medium heat for about 20 minutes until it's nice and thick and your kitchen smells amazing.
Put the butternut butter into a sterilised jar and resist eating all of it before you're even able to stick it into the fridge.
Enjoy with some porridge or on some warm bread (I can practically taste and smell the amazingness of it on some fresh baguette, potentially with some salted butter....hmmmm)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...