Saturday 16 October 2010

Stewed Apples


Rosie made this amazing chicken & prune tangine yesterday (and Manuel brought wine and Sandra stuff for a salad) so I decided to make desert (who wants to show up empty-handed in their own kitchen). Since I've been seeing a lot of recipes for stewed pears lately that's what I had in mind; but pears and I haven't been friends since a fateful holiday at Lago Maggiore when I was 4 or so. Anyhow, I'm digressing, so I decided to make apples :)
Since I didn't do much measuring the quantities are approximations so just go for what feels right to you (this recipe fed 4)

Stewed Apples
4 Apples (they don't need to be huge or super pretty)
250ml White wine
Some water
4 tbsp Light brown muscovado sugar
A generous dash of vanilla essence
1 tsp Cinnamon

Peel and core the apples, cut them into quarters.
Put all ingredients into a heavy bottomed saucepan. As for the water, don't use crazy amounts, but if the wine doesn't even cover 1/2 of the apples I would add some.
Heat over a medium heat and let it simmer for about 10 minutes.
Once the apples are tender (we're not talking disintegrated here!) remove them from the pan and turn up the heat a bit.
Keep stirring at regular intervals (i.e. don't run away from the pan) until the liquid has turned into a fairly sticky affair. We're not going for caramel-consistency but a fairly thick sauce (wow, could I be less precise! But it will make sense when you're standing in front of it).
Pour it over the apples and serve them hot or cold.
Enjoy with some of the best banter/gossip/geeky-gossip/work-conversations in ages :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...