Wednesday 9 February 2011

My Mum's Fruit Salad


Growing up we always seemed to have fruit salad. I'm convinced this was my mum trying to make us eat more fruit but unlike some of the other healthy stuff that tended to appear on our plates the fruit salad was actually nice (ok, that sounds a bit mean, but those of you who have nutritionists as mums will know what I mean) - who wouldn't want to have fruit salad for desert?
Before you ask, no this is not the version my mum made for us kids :) but she made one just like this when I went home for Christmas this time around.
And it was glorious!
Yes, if you're trying to loose weight, loose the kirsch and the sugar, but if you're looking for something that will transform a lovely fruit salad into something that you can't stop eating then let me suggest this version :)

Super Duper Fruit Salad
1 Pink Lady Apple
1 Banana
2 Kiwi Fruit
1 Orange
1 Pear
1 tbsp Kirschwasser
2 tsp Vanilla Sugar

Cut the apple, banana and pear (yes, believe it or not, I'm using pear in a recipe! I'm proud of myself!) into small pieces and put them into a bowl. Cut off the kiwi fruit skin, then cut them into small pieces and add to the bowl. Cut off the orange peel and cut out the segments. Squeeze the remainder of the orange and use the juice as part of the dressing (ok, I really can't think of a better way of putting this, if you are unsure about what I'm talking about then let me know and I'll think of a better way of describing this), then add the kirsch and sugar.
Enjoy by itself, with some whipped cream, some ice-cream, or whatever else you can think of :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...