Tuesday 1 February 2011

Amaranth Porridge


Today I learned a couple of things:

-my lovely Opinel vegetable peeler seems to have a thing for my wrist but my wrist is not really returning the feelings...so now I'm running around with a bad-ass plaster on my wrist (seriously, since when am I too stupid to use a vegetable peeler, I've been doing this for at least 20 years now and I've never managed to try to peel my wrist in the process of peeling a cucumber!)

-I should really work on my social life, otherwise I wouldn't have spent 15 minutes playing with the interactive figure that Matlab makes for you when you're doing an ANOVA (I had a really good time though :) )

-Amaranth makes some amazing porridge

I've had a bag of whole amaranth sitting at the back of my cupboard for the better part of a year now and while I had all those ideas of what I could make with it I never got around to doing anything with it.
So when I wanted to try Jenna's cooked grainy porridge and was rooting around for some quinoa (no success there) I came across that bag again.
And it kept staring at me.
And wouldn't stop.
So I decided to make some amaranth porridge which turned out to be a fantastic idea :)

Make it the night before, that way you'll have breakfast ready in 5 minutes max (and if you make two portions you'll even have your mid-morning snack sorted). Oh, and the recipe makes quite a lot, so if you go for the same quantities it should last you a few days.

Amaranth Porridge
1 cup Amaranth
4 cups Liquid ( I used 21/2 cups water, 1 cup orange juice and 1/2 cup cream, replace them according to your preferences)
1/2 cup Raisins
6cm of Vanilla Pod

In a saucepan mix all ingredients other than the milk.
Bring to a boil, then cover and allow the mix to simmer until the amaranth is done. This should take about 45 minutes.
Once the amaranth is tender (or whatever you call that state in a grain), stir in the cream.
If you feel it's too runny, give it another minute or so (it won't turn into a brick in the fridge even if it's fairly thick to start off with).
Now, this tastes lovely when it's warm, but I feel it's true calling was to be a quick cold breakfast or lunch.
It's amazing with some fruit and yoghurt, and some runny jam (the last bits of my mum's super yummy uncooked blackcurrant jam) or some agave syrup turns it into a real treat :)


3 comments:

  1. And thank you, Sandra, for finding all the typos :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I´ve just bought a pack of amaranth)) Thank you for the recipe!

    Greetings from Vienna, Svet

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Svet!
    After seeing your beetroot carpaccio I am tempted to make that instead of the grilled beetroot I was planning to make tomorrow.
    That just looks absolutely divine!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...