Sunday 18 July 2010

Yoghurt and Chèvre Rolls


As I mentioned we made mezze last week (lots of fun and lots of strong language when we attempted to make beetroot falafel...I think my beautiful friend Juliane had a lot of fun laughing at me, am I right?).
Anyhow, one of the things we made were yoghurt and chèvre rolls that we covered with chopped pistachios and chopped zereshk (dried berberis berries, you can get them in lots of Iranian food markets).
I must admit I'm slightly in love with them. Yoghurt and chèvre are already two of my favourite foods by themselves but when you combine them they bring out the best in each other.
If you don't add any salt or herbs you can have them either savoury or with some honey, dates, or some berries. Oh the possibilities!

Yoghurt and Chèvre Rolls
500g Strained yoghurt
200g Chèvre
1 handful Zereshk
100g Pistachios

Line a sieve with a muslin cloth and strain the yoghurt further for a couple of hours (don't be tempted to argue that since it's already strained it'll be fine).
Mix the chèvre with the now rather dry yoghurt (we're still talking yoghurt so dry is relative here) and whisk until you have a smooth paste.
Chop the zereshk and the pistachios and put them onto large plates.
Now you get to pretend that you're still in kindergarten and you're playing with playdoh (we're noticing a pattern in what I like to do with food, don't we?) and roll about 2 tsp of the chèvre and yoghurt mix in either the pistachios or the zereshk.
Put it on a pretty plate and repeat until you've used up all the chèvre and yoghurt mix.
Now lean back and enjoy the pretty colours!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...