Friday 16 July 2010

Gooseberry Juice


It's still on the slightly hot side of things so here's another juice recipe.
I have a slightly ambivalent relationship with gooseberries. My mum always used to get loads from my grandma and because 'they're soo nice' we had to freeze the majority of them....and then they always ended up in deserts for the rest of the year forcing me to develop gooseberry-related-OCD when picking them out of my food.
I have realized, however that they're rather nice in a juice, so the plan (before I move on to the plan that includes me taking over the world) is to make juice every time I get home so there are no gooseberries left that even have a chance of appearing in my food over Christmas.
I used frozen gooseberries because we're emptying the freezer for all the fruit that is to come but the fresh gooseberries I've seen  this year are already looking very promising.
I love how the gooseberry flavour mixes with a hint of cinnamon and the slight minty-ness without being too sweet. If you like your juice quite sweet you'll definitely want to add more sugar to this recipe.
This is quite a concentrated juice so mix it with plenty of water when you serve it.
Anyhow, I hope it's not quite as hot wherever you are!

Gooseberry Juice
6 cups Gooseberries
1 cup Blackberries
1 cup Blackcurrants
2 cups Redcurrants
1/2 Cinnamon stick
about 3cm of a vanilla pod
3 leaves Moroccan mint
15-20 leaves Vervaine
11/2 tbsp Sugar
Zest of 1/2 lemon
100ml Water
50ml Orange juice

Put everything into a heavy bottomed pot and cover with a lid.
Cook until the fruit has gone all mushy and the gooseberries look like they're not happy anymore.
Turn of the heat and let the mix cool down a bit.
Strain, put it into a pretty jug and wait until it's properly cooled down.
Enjoy on a balmy summer evening.

1 comment:

  1. I think you need to add a juice section to your "What i write about"...! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...