Saturday 3 July 2010

Grapefruit and Campari Granita


I'm in Amsterdam at the moment and while it seems to be cooling down at the moment I am feeling distinctly summery. I just love it when you can walk around town in the evening and you don't have to bring a coat or thousands of extra layers....so while I was enjoying the warm air on my skin last night, I couldn't stop thinking of how nice it would be to have some granita. Actually, I was thinking of a very specific granita.
I found the precursor to it in 'Crazy Water, Pickled Lemons' by Diana Henry but I felt it was too sweet (if you like your granita sweet add some more sugar, I like it when you can taste the tartness of the grapefruit).
Thank you, Sandra for indulging me a while ago when we spent the better part of 10 minutes taking photos of the granita when all you could think of was that it was melting away :)

Grapefruit and Campari Granita
500ml Ruby grapefruit juice
100g Caster sugar
75ml Campari

Heat the juice and the sugar until the sugar has melted. Mix the remaining juice and heat until it's properly cooled down.
Add the Campari.
Find a container that fits into your freezer and put it in for about an hour (with the granita mix that is).
So after an hour it will have little crystals forming at the edges. Using a fork, mix them back into the juice.
Repeat this a few more times until you have a boozy competitor to Mr Slushy, now you put it in for a bit longer, we're pretending to be grown-up here :)
Serve in some pretty glasses on a lazy summer evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...