Saturday 18 September 2010

Three-Plum-Cobbler


Today's recipe is one that turned out to be rather fabulous for a road trip as well.
With plum season in full swing I had a couple of handfuls of damsons, victoria plums and green gages kicking about and I was looking for something nice and sweet to make a not-so-fabulous afternoon a bit better (and believe me, it worked incredibly well) so along came idea of making a cobbler.
Cobblers and I go way back :) I used to make them potentially a bit too often (with apples and mixed berries) when I was involved in organizing a UN simulation with friends but then I pretty much stopped when I went to uni (don't ask me why, I can't think of a particular reason other than not really liking the mixed berries at our supermarket in St Andrews, which is the lamest excuse I have ever come up with) but Nadine reminded me of the good old cobbler times so when I was thinking of what to do with the plums I thought this would be a fabulous opportunity to try a slightly more grown-up version.

Three-Plum-Cobbler
Just under 2 pounds of plums (damsons for colour, victoria plums for the fun of it and green gages for the sweetness), already pitted and chopped into bite-size pieces
100g Sugar
200g Flour (I used Kamut this time so it would be nice and autumnal but plain flour works just as well)
2tsp Baking powder
75g Butter (leave it in the fridge until you need it and the quickly dice it)
A pinch of salt
1tsp Cinnamon
80ml Buttermilk
1 Egg

Preheat your oven to 180 degrees.
Put the plums and 50g of the sugar into a baking dish and set them aside.
Mix the remaining dry ingredients in a bowl, add the butter and mix until the whole thing resembles breadcrumbs. I think this is always my favourite part because depending on the spices you use this smells just amazing and I love the texture you get here.
Anyway, back to the cobbler, mix in the egg and the buttermilk and once things are nicely combined put teaspoon-size bits all over. See how it goes, depending on the shape of your baking dish you might not need all of it. You'll still want to see some bits where there's plums sticking out.
Stick everything into the oven and give it somewhere between 30 and 50 minutes (depending on how brown your want the topping bits) before you take it out again and stare at it in adoration.
Enjoy with some cream or some ice-cream or without anything (as we did on the way down south).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...