Monday 27 September 2010

Orange Kanten


Before you ask, Kanten is the Japanese name for Agar-Agar so basically, todays recipe is a vegan jelly :)
But you have to admit, Kanten sounds like 10 times more exciting.
I had the idea for this recipe a couple of years ago around lent. Verena had gone on her usual 'no sweets' whereas I was on my usual 'let's go vegan for 40 days' and we were trying to have dinner together. So the search led me down the sugar-free things route because if it doesn't have any added sugar it's obviously ok, right ;) 
The original version was pretty much just blood orange juice and Agar flakes but I've since experimented and while the colour is not as pretty I actually prefer the taste of the Tropicana Ruby Breakfast mix (yes, I am a total slave to my brands where orange juice is concerned, don't judge me) with a hint of agave syrup.

Orange Kanten
1l Orange juice
5 tbsp Agar flakes
2 tbsp Agave syrup

Mix the Agar flakes and 2 cups of the orange juice in a pot, heat until it starts to boil and keep it bubbling for about 5 minutes while stirring it regularly (no running off to read that trashy novel just now!) until the agar flakes have dissolved.
Take off the heat, stir in the agar syrup and the rest of the orange juice. I don't heat up all the orange juice in the hope that whatever vitamins  are in the non-concentrate awesomeness won't all die, I'm not quite sure how much that actually helps though (but I can always hope).
Pour everything into a pretty bowl or glasses, chill for at least 4 hours and then serve after a fabulous meal (or for breakfast) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...