Thursday 2 September 2010

Potato-Sweet-Potato-Gratin


You were actually supposed to get a recipe for autumnal pasta today but my camera decided to delete all my photos overnight. If that is the first sign of my memory-card dying I might have to cry.
Anyhow, so it's going to be a potato gratin I made a while ago. And before you ask, it DOES taste nice, I just never had the time to post it before it got warm.
Oh, and before I forget, what does the new design look like in people's browsers? Yes, the page is still not quite finished (give me another month and lots of sleep) but I only ever heard back from people who are using safari and who have the same screen resolution like me (and even though I appreciated you getting back to me that was the only combination I wasn't that interested in ;) )
So if anything looks funky PLEASE drop me a line! I might even dedicate you a recipe to return the favour :)
Back to the gratin. It was part of a series of experimental recipes I made in the spring using different starchy vegetables (they're vegetables, right?) So after a not so successful cassava experiment I decided to play with the colours of potatoes and sweet potatoes.

Potato-Sweet-Potato-Gratin
I know that a lot of you like to measure things but I really don't see a point in doing that for a gratin. Just fill  a dish and if there's leftovers just have them the next day! I tend to use 1 large sweet potato and a handful of normal potatoes for 2-3 people and that fits perfectly into one of those square gratin dishes (I think they're 20x20cm)
You'll need some cream, some butter, some parmesan cheese, a clove of garlic, some salt, pepper and nutmeg and that's it :)

Preheat your oven to 200 degrees.
Peel the potatoes and slice them thinly (think of the thickness of a 1 Euro coin as an upper limit)
Butter the gratin dish, half the garlic and rub it over the butter (you want it to get that hint of garlic-flavour not much more).
Then get creative when you lay out the slices. Season after each layer and add some parmesan before you start the next layer (don't overdo it on the cheese-front). Once you've used up all the potatoes or once your dish is full, season again, add some more cheese.
 Pour some cream over  the whole thing and add a few bits of butter (again, no need to overdo it).
Pop the potatoes into the oven and bake for an hour until the top is nicely browned and the potatoes are cooked through (check with a sharp knife, if the top gets too brown too quickly put some tinfoil over the top).
Enjoy your gratin with steamed vegetables or some green beans in a tomato sauce and it gets even better in good company :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...