Monday 13 December 2010

Sand-Dollar Cookies


How many batches of cookies have you gone through so far? Are you sick of them yet?
I thought I had reached that stage on Saturday when I was sitting in Katie's living room with that blank state of mind you get to when you've eaten waaay too much sugar...
Anyhow, it's been two days since then so I thought I'd give you another cookie recipe :)
I made these cookies because was in the need of something not too Christmassy, something sweet but not too sweet, and above all, something that would be easy to prepare. Which is exactly what this recipe is :)


This recipe is a spin on Kim Boyce's Sand Cookies and you should have most of the ingredients in your cupboard. If you are wondering whether they are the same thing as 'Heidesand', the answer is no.
These cookies are just sheer amazingness. The sugar at the bottom caramelizes and turns them into a sandy-chewy-caramelly thing of beauty (ok, that doesn't sound as amazing as it did in my head).
If you are looking for a grown-up take on cookies, these are the ones for you :) and the fact that they look a bit like sand-dollars makes me think of the seaside in the summer (how more awesome could a cookie be?!?!?)

Sand-Dollar Cookies
2 cups Kamut Flour
1/2 cup Light Brown Sugar
1 tsp Salt
6 oz Butter

Preheat your oven to 175 degrees.
Mix the dry ingredients, then rub the butter into them until the crumbly mixture you get at the beginning turns into a coherent dough.
Roll pieces of about 1tbsp of dough into balls and then press them flat until they're about just over half a cm thick.
Put the cookies onto a baking sheet and bake them for 18 to 20 minutes. They will be darker than your average Christmas Cookie but be patient, you we be rewarded :)
Allow them to cool before you take them off the baking sheet (I wasn't planning of eating the edge of the cookie in the picture above, it came off when I tried to move them and then I obviously had to eat it...) but they definitely taste better on the day you make them.

2 comments:

  1. I think it must have been telepathy - I literally just thought "I haven't looked at Kathi's blog for a while" and up popped the post on my feed reader! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's because I can read your mind...obviously ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...