Wednesday 15 December 2010

Favourite Cookbooks - 2010


I had a moment of panic this morning when I realized that I could have gone on a holiday if I wasn't buying cookbooks all the time (then again, I think I enjoyed looking at those pictures more than I would have going on a holiday).
But I'm really not getting to the point today :)
I decided to jump the bandwagon with my very own favourites list (if you really couldn't care less, go and look at pretty pictures of food instead) - my favourite cookbooks that made their way onto the shelve on top of our fridge this year:

Oh, and I've added links to Amazon not, because I think you should buy your books there but because they  have that 'look inside' thing. And I'm not imposing an order here because cookbooks are like children ;)


-Good to the Grain by Kim Boyce
I stumbled across this book at the Wholefoods on Kensington High-Street and I haven't looked back since. Kim's recipes are amazing and whenever I am looking for something to bake this is one of the first books I turn to.
My quince pancakes were inspired by Kim's buckwheat pancakes, the sand-dollar cookies are a spin off some cookies in there, and don't get me started on the waffles...

-My Nepenthe by Romney Steele
I had wanted a copy of this book for quite a while but I never got around to getting one. Luckily I never did because now I have a copy that I bought when I stopped for lunch and some writing at Nepenthe. This amazing afternoon makes having a copy of this book so much more special.

-The Geometry of Pasta by Caz Hildebrand & Jacob Kenedy
This book is just amazing! If you are into cookbooks that are a piece of art in themselves this is one for you. It starts with the feel of the dust-cover which is folded in itself (and if you unfold it you can see black and white outlines of pasta shapes, continues with the gorgeous illustrations in the book and is made even better by the recipes (which are to die for) and the beautiful writing.

-At Elizabeth David's Table
Gorgeous photographs of amazing recipes. This is the newest addition to the top of my fridge :) so far I have only tried some of the soups and they were stunning in their simplicity. This is mediterranean food at its best.

-Lucid Food by Louisa Shafia
This is a gem. Filled with seasonal recipes you keep stumbling over something you have to try every time you open this book.
The steamed quince in this salad were based on Louisa's recipe.

-delicious days by Nicole Stich
OK, I'm cheating a bit, I got that one for Christmas last year, but it's sooo nice, and I'm soo excited that Nicole's new book should come out at some point in February.
Nicole's blog is gorgeous and definitely worth a visit!

-Williams-Sonoma Cooking at Home
I FINALLY got my own copy of this amazingly amazing cookbook when I went to Austin in November :) I've been wanting to have one for a while for the in my opinion fool-proof recipes for what I would call classic American dishes (you're more than welcome to disagree with me on this one, I know this is the opinion of someone observing American cooking from the outside).

1 comment:

  1. Hallo Kathi,
    Delicious Days ist wirklich ein tolles Kochbuch! Das habe ich mir gerade auch bestellt.
    -Regine

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...