Wednesday 8 December 2010

Cinnamon Cookies

© Sandra Reisinger

Making these cookies is one of my worst nightmares. You have to prepare the dough in advance, you have to chill it, it goes all crumbly when you're trying to roll it out, it takes forever to cut out the cookies...do you want me to continue? ;)
BUT, once you've had one of these you'll understand why I still make them.
If you like cinnamon, these are your best friends!
Don't tell anyone, but when Sandra made them the first time I ate every single one that she left at my place within the next 12 hours (and there was a lot of self-restraint involved in getting to that time-span...) this time I did a bit better but that might have been because I hid them under tin-foil so I couldn't see them..
Anyhow, they are well worth the effort, so give them a try!

Cinnamon Cookies
250g Flour
75g Sugar
1 pack Vanilla Sugar (if you can't get hold of that, use 1tsp vanilla essence instead)
1 tbsp Rum
1 tbsp Cinnamon
1 Egg, separated
A pinch of Salt
125g Butter (cold, cut into cubes)
2 tbsp Cinnamon-Sugar (mix 2 tbsp sugar with 1/2 tsp cinnamon)
Ice cold water

Mix the butter, sugar, salt, and flour until you have something that resembles breadcrumbs.
Quickly add the egg-yolk, rum and vanilla essence (if you're using any).
If this mix doesn't stick yet add a teaspoon of water at a time until you have a dough that holds together. You'll want to work quickly, so the butter doesn't start melting.
Form into a ball or disk, cover with cling-film and let it chill in the fridge for an hour or two (you could also make the dough the night before, perhaps I should try that the next time).
Preheat your oven to 175 degrees.
Beat the egg-white until soft peaks form (I love writing this), then mix in the cinnamon sugar (DON'T overdo it here, just mix it in and then move the whisk away from the egg-white :) )
Take the dough out of the fridge, cut off a chunk and roll it out on a floured surface (I am told that using very little pressure on the dough stops it from breaking, but I guess I don't have enough patience for that) and have fun with your cookie cutters :)
Lay the cookies on a cookie-sheet that has baking parchment on it, spread some of the egg-white mixture on the cookies and then bake them until they look done (depending on your oven that should be 10-15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...