Monday 4 April 2011

Tomato & Bread Salad



Here's another idea for your lunchbox that shouldn't take you more than 5 or 10 minutes.
I know it's not really tomato-season yet (ok, not even remotely) but I had one of those 'I don't care, I want something summery' days. So let me tell you that it's nice in the spring but if you make this in the summer it will blow your mind (if you can get really nice heirloom tomatoes go for those).
Anyhow, you don't really need a recipe here but let me give you the following advice:

-I'm lazy so I don't remove the skin from the tomatoes. It's really nice though. Put the tomatoes into boiling water for a few seconds, then transfer them to a bowl of ice-water, then you can peel the skin off without any issues.
-When you cut the tomatoes, take the squishy seed stuff out but don't throw it away, if you put it into the dressing it will give you a really nice flavour.
-Use nice olive oil :)
-It's ok if the bread you're using (sourdough is really nice for this purpose) is stale. I wouldn't go for rock-solid but if it's been sitting in your bread tin for a couple of days it will be perfect because it won't go too soggy.
-It's also really nice with some onions and some capers and grilled peppers, but if I'm just making some for my lunchbox, the ingredients below are what I go for.

Allright, so what do you actually need?

Some tomatoes (2 medium ones per person is a good start)
Some bread
Olive oil
Balsamic Vinegar
Salt & Pepper

Cut the tomatoes into pieces and keep the seeds (just put them into a small bowl or so). Break or cut the bread into pieces that are a bit bigger than the tomato pieces. Mix the tomato seeds with some salt and pepper and balsamic vinegar.
Now you're ready to 'assemble' your salad :)
Put the tomatoes and the bread into a bowl, spoon over some vinegar-tomato mix (don't drown the bread but be generous at the same time - if that makes sense), then drizzle everything with some olive oil.
This salad is a bit boring just after you have made it, so take it to work with you and enjoy it in a few hours or over lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...