Wednesday 20 April 2011

Semolina Soup


I made some soup for dinner.
Now, you might ask why I was telling you about this soup when I was writing about foods that are nice when you're ill. This was my grandpa's favourite soup when I was little and for me it's not just the soup itself but also the way your kitchen smells when you are roasting the  semolina.
Oh, and the taste makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
I made a really simple version of this soup today - you normally chop some vegetables and put them in before you add the stock - but if you have seen me try to navigate a spoon to my mouth with my right hand you will agree that me wielding a sharp knife right now is a very scary thought...very scary indeed...
So, let's make some soup :)

Semolina Soup
30g Butter
35g Semolina
750ml Stock
Some vegetables such as leek, celeriac, and carrot if you feel like it

Heat the butter in a pot, then add the semolina. Cook (or fry or whatever you call this) the semolina for about 10 minutes on a low heat until it has become a golden yellow (you are basically making a roux just with semolina instead of flour, so keep stirring).
If you are using vegetables, chop them finely and add them now.
Keep cooking the mix until the semolina has turned a dark yellow, then add the stock, turn the heat down as low as it will go, cover the pot and find something to do for an hour (may I recommend crappy TV).
Serve on it's own or with some chives on top. Oh, and the Charlie and Lola bowl is obviously vital for your enjoyment of the soup :)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...