Friday 3 August 2012

Boozy Grilled Peach & Sour Cream Ice Pops



Even though I'm complaining about the 'heat' at the lab or during practice in the evenings, I am actually really enjoying the summery temperatures we've been having.
Partly because that means I'll have a chance to wear my new text-marker-coloured shorts, but mostly because I have an excuse to eat ice-cream pretty much every day. Rather than making even more granita or ice-cream, I have switched to making my own ice pops. I made some amazing avocado ones after a recipe from Fany Gerson's Paletas but ate them before taking a decent picture. But then I also made some with grilled peaches, bourbon, and sour cream (inspired by Fany's sour cream, cherry, and tequila ones) and I thought we could make them together today.
If you don't have any popsicle molds, don's worry, I don't have any either (because I'm having this stupid argument with myself where the stubborn version of me refuses to buy molds that don't look like the ones I really want to have but I can't find them anywhere in Germany...) so I use shot glasses and this really cool ice-cube mold from the 50s I pinched from my mum.
All right, let's get cracking.


This recipe makes enough for 12 normal popsicle moulds or 6 shot glasses and said ice-cube mould.


Boozy Grilled Peach & Sour Cream Ice Pops
3 Peaches (about 450g after you take out the stones) 
3 tbsp Agave Syrup
2 tbsp Lemon Juice (freshly squeezed)
4 tbsp Bourbon
450gr Sour Cream
350ml Milk
1/4 tsp Salt
100g Raw Cane Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla Extract


Half the peaches and grill them until the side near the heat is charred and the flesh is relatively soft. Allow them to cool slightly, then peel off the skin (you should be able to pretty much rub the skin off with your finger - hence the cooling).
Cut the peaches into small pieces - about 0.5 cm thick and 1.5 - 2 cm wide and cover them with the agave syrup, lemon juice, and bourbon in a smallish bowl. Allow the peaches to completely cool down, then refrigerate them until you are ready to continue.
Mix the milk, sugar and salt in a saucepan and bring the mixture to a boil. Take the saucepan off the heat and whisk in the sour cream and the vanilla extract. As with the peaches, allow the mixture to completely cool down, then refrigerate it until you are ready to continue.
Take out whichever molds you are using and spoon in enough of the sour cream mixture to fill the bottom of the molds (about 1.5-2.5 cm deep depending on the shape of the mold). Freeze for about 30 minutes. This will stop the peaches sinking completely to the bottom.
While the mix is freezing away, drain the peaches and keep the liquid. You could probably make an amazing grilled peach old fashioned but if I'm perfectly honest with you, poured over some ice with some more bourbon this is very close to what I consider the perfect drink. 
Anyhow, back to the ice pops. Spoon the peaches into the molds, dividing them relatively evenly. If you have any left, have a party and eat them while the popsicles are freezing.
Spoon the sour cream mixture into the molds, leaving some room at the top.
Insert the sticks and freeze for at least 3 or 4 hours. Fany  suggests freezing them for an hour before inserting the sticks if you are using shot glasses but I didn't have the time to do that and I don't know about you - I'm not planning to sell these, I want to eat them - who cares whether the sticks are slightly wonky or not?!?


I hope you have a fab weekend with lots of ice-cream and I hope you are just as excited about Sunday as I am! After receiving lots of very positive feedback on the 'thoughts' posts I have decided to have a series of posts that will be called Sunday Salon. I have invited some of the amazing people I know who either blog themselves or who write amazing other stuff to write posts about something they care about. About something that makes them think. I hope you'll enjoy this project as much as I already have organising the first few posts. 
So now, you can be excited about Sunday as well :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...