Wednesday 22 August 2012

Very Dark Chocolate Loaf Cake


I have been meaning to post this recipe for ages. Because it is so amazing I made it two weeks in a row (once you see the quantities you will understand that eating one of those loafs in a week is quite a feat) and had it for breakfast most days. And then I had some for dinner a few of those days as well. Oh, and in case you are wondering, the cake freezes really well if you wrap it in tinfoil and then stick it into a freezer-bag.
The reason I am finally getting around to telling you about it is that I was desperate for a pick-me-up while I was icing my possibly slightly bruised cheek the other day (you know, I thought trying to catch a ball with my face would be a good idea...) and after I found a frozen slice sitting next to the ice-pack I was rifling through my freezer for things did look a lot better. You can microwave the frozen cake until it is warm and then eat it with some ice-cream :)
I found this loaf cake in Baked Explorations which, in case I have not told you before, is full of recipes you will try and then bake again and again. 
Anyhow, the original is lovely but I found using yoghurt and dark agave syrup gives it a somewhat more rounded flavour.
It works incredibly well on its own and is really lovely with some almond butter or some cream cheese but it truly shines when you spread some caramel sauce on a slice and have it with some ice cream as a dessert.

Very Dark Chocolate Loaf Cake (adapted from Baked Explorations)
110g Cocoa Powder
200g Flour
1 1/2 tsp Bicarb
3/4 tsp Baking Powder
150g Raw Cane Sugar
1 tsp Salt
2 Eggs
100ml Dark Agave Syrup
125ml Yoghurt
125ml Vegetable Oil
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 tsp Coconut Extract
100g Dark Chocolate (at least 75%)
100g Milk Chocolate (both types of chocolate broken into pieces)

Preheat your oven to 175˚C. Butter and flour a 13x23cm loaf tin (if you don't know your tin's dimensions - that's one for a large loaf)
In a bowl, combine the cocoa powder, flour, bicarb, baking powder, and salt.
In another bowl, whisk the eggs and sugar  until the mixture becomes lighter in colour and somewhat fluffy.
In a third bowl (I promise this one is the last one!) combine the yoghurt, vegetable oil, vanilla extract and coconut extract. Add the dry mix in three or four parts. Whisk about a third of the egg mixture into the batter. Once it is properly incorporated, fold in the remainder of the mixture taking care not to beat all the air out of the batter again. 
Fold in the chocolate and pour the batter into the prepared tin.
Bake for 60 to 70 minutes or until no batter sticks to a cake tester when inserted in the middle of the cake.
Allow the cake to cool for a bit before taking it out of the tin and allowing it to cool completely.
As I said....caramel sauce is the way forward! Oh, and some good coffee doesn't hurt either :)
I hope you have a fantastic rest of your week!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...