Saturday 12 June 2010

Kamut Palatschinken with a Bananas Foster Sauce


Over the last few weeks we have been getting into the whole Saturday brunch idea...well....can you call it brunch if people show up at 9 and everyone is gone by 11.....no idea....but it means I get to see people, relax, eat some fab food and then there's no excuse to not do work afterwards....
Anyhow....today we made Palatschinken.
Palatschinken is a Crepe-like pancake you tend to find in Bavaria and Austria and since I can't wait to go home this summer it seemed like a perfect idea :)
I have a thing for Kamut flour at the moment....I just love the flavour and the golden colour just amazes me every time I make something with it....I still haven't gotten around trying Kamut SpƤtzle but I might give that a try this fall....not sure about using only Kamut in pancakes though....the flavour was amazing but it gives you too much of a crumbly texture which was slightly weird in pancakes...perhaps adding spelt would do the job....
As for the Bananas Foster sauce....I bought a copy of the Southern Living 116 Cakes & Pies and I've been wanting to try their version of the sauce for a while...I ended up changing most of it....somehow I couldn't motivate myself to set my flat on fire on a Saturday morning....

Palatschinken
When I make pancakes I put the bowl onto my scales and measure everything by weight....my mum says it doesn't make a difference for milk....I'm not convinced density-wise (has milk a higher or lower density than water....lower, right????)....but it saves you the washing-up
300 g flour
6 eggs
350 g milk
1 packet of vanilla sugar (Sandra and I think that's 7.5 grams...)
about a tbsp of oil
a pinch of salt

Mix all the ingredients, leave them for about 10 minutes or so....heat up a non-stick pan and off you go (aim for thin but not crazy thin).


Bananas Foster Sauce
60 g butter
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/3 cup of rum
a pinch of ground cinnamon
2 bananas, peeled and sliced

Melt the butter in a pan, add sugar, rum and cinnamon and stir everything together. You'll want to leave it bubbling for about 3 minutes - don't forget to stir!!!!
Add the bananas and leave it on the heat for another 2 or 3 minutes....or until you just can't wait any longer...


Sandra doesn't like bananas so here's the alternative photo for today....Palatschinken filled with cinnamon and sugar with some Scottish raspberries


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...