Monday 9 July 2012

Watermelon Margarita Granita


Phew..last week just flew by. I spent the week editing chapters, puzzling over applications (neither for my own work which was surprisingly relaxing), watching my tomatoes grow at an alarming speed, enjoying the warm morning air, cursing the warm night air...the usual :)
Today's recipe is just perfect for those warm summer evenings (and hot summer afternoons) so I suggest you go and buy a watermelon. Right now. Because I've decided this week will be watermelon-recipe week.
You know how sometimes you get an overripe watermelon that still tastes amazing but is all weird and grainy? I picked the wrong watermelon at my greengrocer's a few weeks back and was left wondering what to do with it. Tape Five's Tequila remix was playing and I was staring at a bottle of tequila so what is a girl supposed to do on a warm summer evening? Watermelon margaritas!
Since I had quite a lot of watermelon juice in the end I decided to freeze things and turn it into a granita.  The nice thing about calling it a granita is also that you can pretend that you're being all grown up rather than having frozen margaritas on a lazy afternoon with friends :)

Watermelon Margarita Granita
Enough Watermelon to get 1 litre juice (I had a two litre bowl full of watermelon wedges that then gave me roughly a litre of juice in the end)
50 - 75 ml Simple Syrup
50 ml Lime Juice
100 ml Tequila
A pinch of Salt

Make the watermelon juice. I simply cut the pink flesh into chunks and then I used my hands to squish them together until the juice came out. I'm sure there is a better way of doing this but since I was only interested in the juice and nothing else that seemed like the best idea at the time.

Mix the watermelon juice with the lime juice, tequila and a pinch of salt. Add some simple syrup to taste. I used about 60 ml but depending on whether you make your syrup with higher or lower percentages of sugar and also the sweetness of your watermelon you will want to adjust the amount. Add about a third of the syrup, then taste the mixture and add some more if you feel like it could do with some more. You'll want to aim for something slightly sweeter than what you find optimal because once we freeze things it will taste less sweet.

Pour the mixture into a freezer-proof container and freeze for a couple of hours. If you have the time you could come back after some time and break up the ice-crystals with a fork. And if you're feeling very energetic you can do this a few times. Or you could just freeze it and attack it with a fork about 5 minutes before your guests show up a few days later (which was obviously not what I did...).

I hope you have a fantastic start of your week!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...