Monday 18 January 2010

Baked Margarita Cheesecake



One of my favourite kinds of cake growing up used to be baked cheesecake...unlike the tiny versions I've seen in the States and the UK, proper German cheesecake tends to be made in a 26 or 28 cm springform tin (which means you can either invite lots of people for coffee, feed you crazy big family or eat cake for the rest of the week....I always used to love the fact that once my mum gave up on trying to force me and my sister to eat healthy food....believe me...wholegrain shortcrust pastry is one of my worst nightmares...cheesecake on Sundays normally turned into a piece of cheesecake at afternoon tea for the rest of the week....good times...) anyhow...so I hadn't made cheesecake in a while but then my friend Anna suggested making some the other day (it turned into a cheesecake-'Jane Austen Book Club'- evening....)
So we were more or less innocently making a plain cheesecake but I didn't have any lemons around.....but then we found some limes.....you can probably guess where this is going...yes...we might have ended up making margarita cheesecake.....my grandma.....who the original recipe is from would probably disown me if she found out....but OMG....I don't think I've had such an amazing idea in a while....anyhow....here we go:

Baked Margarita Cheesecake
Preheat the oven to 160-180 degrees (my oven is on the hotter side of the spectrum...so whatever you normally use to kinda slowly bake a bigger cake...160 in my case but you know your oven, I don't)

Make some shortcrust pastry using
-250g flour
-125g butter
-65g sugar
-1 egg
-potentially some cold water
rub the butter, sugar and flour together, add the egg (and if you need to the water), wrap it in clingfilm and stick it into the fridge while you make the filling.

Filling
I like my filling quite thick so I tend to use more than what my grandma told me to....so the following quantities are guidelines...use more or less depending on how you like your cheesecake...
-50-75g butter
-125-150g sugar (depends on how sweet you are)
cream the butter and the sugar for like forever....then add
-4-5 egg yolks
and keep beating for another two minutes or so...then we get to the fun part....add
-juice and zest of 1 lime
-some cointreau....we used probably 2 tablespoons....
-some tequila....didn't have any cheap tequila left...but I feel this will exponentially improve the recipe
then add
-2-4 tbsp cornflour or custard powder
-750-1000g quark (if you can't find any use 0% greek yoghurt....it's a bit too moist so either use more, using some more cornflour, or stain it in a colander lined with muslin cloth....) and if you fancy...
- 200g sour cream or whipping cream whipped (whatever the little pots are size-wise....)
once you've combined all the ingredients for the filling take the dough out of the fridge, roll it out and put it into a slightly oiled 26cm springform tin, put the filling in and put it into the preheated oven for 70-90 minutes.
Once it's done, leave it to cool for at least half an hour....otherwise the filling will ooze out slightly....it's gonna taste just as nice though....


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...